My Healthy Picks
Many times I get asked "what kind of things do you buy?" or "how do you eat?" Let me first say that I am mostly vegan, but I understand that not everyone is able to eat that way yet. All evidence points to the significant health benefits you get from going more plant based, so keep striving towards that direction. In the meantime, work with where you are, always trying to make healthier choices. You might not be able to do the healthiest option yet, but find a compromise until you're able to get there. It can be challenging to find healthier alternatives for your favorite foods. Below are my favorite and 'dietitian approved' options. Click on each item to purchase.
For the 'chip lovers'
If you can't find these at your store click on the picture to purchase
• Usda organic, non-gmo project verified, gluten free
Found at many health food stores, see link
Oils - use very sparingly
BUILDING BLOCK FOR PROTEIN SYNTHESIS - As a complete vegetarian protein, it provides a complete range of essential and non-essential amino acids, helping to maintain lean muscle mass and support enzyme production for everyday health.
• Millet is a smart carb with lots of fiber and low simple sugars. Because of this it has a relatively low glycemic index and has been shown to produce lower blood sugar levels than wheat or rice. Millet’s high protein content (15 percent) makes is a substantial addition to a vegetarian diet
• It’s A Source Of Key Vitamins And Minerals: Amaranth contains calcium, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, and iron. One cup of uncooked amaranth has 31 percent of the RDA for calcium, 14 percent for vitamin C, and a whopping 82 percent for iron
• Good source of vitamin E, folate, and thiamin
• Great in smoothies
• Adds texture and nutty flavor to any foods
• Loaded with antioxidants.
A great addition to soups.
• Dark beans are higher in antioxidant anthocyanins found in their skin.
Just 5 simple ingredients! Dates, almonds, cage free egg whites, sea salt, and lemon oi
• FREE FROM: animal products, GMOs, gluten, soy & whey protein
• Raw & Organic Ingredients - Agave, Dates, Cashews, Almonds, Sunflower Seeds and Sprouted Flax Seeds
• Good for the planet -lower carbon footprint
Found at WinnDixie and health food stores
GoMacro is environmentally conscious, mother-daughter owned, and made with positive, plant-based ingredients, bringing positive change for those hungry for it, one bar at a time.
• A whole food, cacao nibs are also a great source of fiber. Sprinkle them onto cereal, trail mix, yogurt or ice cream or mix them into baked goods.
• USDA Organic, Kosher, Non-GMO, vegan, gluten-free
Fortified with B Vitamins including Folic Acid and B12 (produced by natural fermentation)
Full of healthy protein that's lower in fat than regular beef with great texture and Mexican flavors
Soy-free, gluten-free. More varieties as well
Contains electrolytes to keep your body fit; Promotes lean muscle
2 full servings of fruits and vegetables per serving. Alfalfa, Spirulina, Chlorella, and Acai
Multivitamins for kids and adults
Here’s A Quick List Of Healthier Breads:
Sprouted Grain Breads
Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Bread – Food for Life (all varieties – 7 grains, sesame, genesis, flax, cinnamon raisin, tortillas, muffins)
Sunseed Bread – Manna
Banana Walnut Hemp Bread – Manna
Sprouted Multi-Grain Bread – Rudi’s (contains added sugar)
Sprouted Wheat Bread – Dave’s Killer Bread (contains added sugar)
Sprouted Wheat Multi-Grain Bread – Alvarado St. Bakery (contains added sugar)
Buckwheat Bread – Happy Camper’s (contains added sugar)
Gluten-Free Rice Almond Bread – Food for Life (contains added sugar)
Gluten-Free Exotic Black Rice Bread – Food for Life (contains added sugar)
Gluten-Free Super Chia Bread – Nature’s Path (contains added sugar)
Good Morning Millet Toaster Cakes – Ancient Grains Bakery (contains added sugar)
Gluten-Free Deli Rye Style Bread – Canyon Bakehouse (contains added sugar)
Ancient Grain Breads
Gluten-Free Ancient Grains Bread – Manna (contains added sugar)
Spelt Ancient Grain Bread – Rudi’s (contains added sugar)
Good Seed Spelt Bread – Dave’s Killer Bread (contains added sugar)